Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Speechless.. (TFIOS review)


I just finished The Fault In Our Stars, and I am absolutely speechless. Yes, I know that sounds cheeky since almost everyone says that when they finish TFIOS, but it's true. A couple weeks back I finished Looking for Alaska, and yesterday I decided to start in TFIOS.

This is a short little review, containing NO SPOILERS. (;

So... where should I start? First of all, I want to say that John Green's books are unpredictable, which is very nice. Halfway through the book I thought I knew how it would end (same with LFO), but nothing was less true. A complete plot twist! Just, like BAM, in your face.

Another thing, a big part of the book refers to The Netherlands, Dutch writers/basketball players or other Dutch things. A part of the book is even set in Amsterdam! I know that’s not a huge deal or anything, but it kind of is to me, since I am Dutch and live in The Netherlands. It gave me a pleasant feeling, knowing that an awesome vlogger and author like John Green knows my small little country even exists! He describes Amsterdam so beautifully, and perfectly accurate. Most books just say something about the red light district, and that’s it. Such a plain image of Amsterdam, since it’s so much more. John Green did a perfect job describing Amsterdam and its magic.

The book contains a lot of literature and poetry references, and I really like that. I am a person who likes to analyze a text or a poem or a story. And John Green mentions these literary works very subtle, but it really adds something to the story.

I highly recommend this book, if you haven’t read it yet. I couldn’t put it away. Started it Sunday evening 10 PM, and took it with my to school the next morning (so I could read in my free periods) and when I got home continued reading. I finished it within 23 hours. I am typing this at 10 PM on a Monday. (this blog post will be published on a Tuesday, so yeah, I really finished it within a day, if you had any doubts)

Long story short: amazing book. Beautifully written and the story spoke to me. This book meant a great deal to me (ghehe, got that reference? If you read TFIOS, you do). John Green, thank you for writing this masterpiece.

 

PS; if you’re looking for beautiful/inspirational/hilarious quotes, you should DEFINETELY read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment