Sunday, November 25, 2012

Looking forward to the holidays

Last thursday it was Thanksgiving in America and Canada. Here in the Netherlands we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, unfortunately. I wish we did, I have never ever tasted turkey or gravy in my life so I'm very curious. Could someone tell me what it tastes like? Is it any good?
And oh my, Black Friday, it sounds insane! I saw some videos on youtube where thousands of people were waiting in front of stores to get in, it's ridiculous... The highest number of people I have seen waiting in line to get in a store is about 10 >.<

Also, I want to go to America for the holidays so so so badly! Just to experience the holiday feeling. Decorated houses, christmas lights and christmas trees everywhere. Walking around at Times Square. Watch the ball drop at midnight, on New Year's Eve...I have seen way too much videos of  youtubers who make daily vlogs in the holiday season, it just looks like such a happy and cozy time.
Alright, enough about my dream to go to America.
What I wanted to talk about is how much I am looking forward to Christmas! It's only a month! Time goes by so fast, it seems like only yesterday when it was New Year's Eve... On that note, have you guys seen that movie? At first I thought it was just a cheesy movie but when I went to see it is was actually pretty good (: Very cute movie.

Pity that I am so busy with school. Around this time of the year it just seems like teachers want to torture us with the insane amounts of homework they give us. I have barely any free time lift. Oh well, I just make free time haha. Internet is way too addicting! In just a couple of weeks I have Test week. Or exam week, I don't exactly know what it's called in English. I think you could compare it to the American SATs? Anyway, in that week I have 2 or 3 tests a day, for a week long, and after that it's vacation! Can't wait! I already bought some christmas decorations a couple weeks ago. I have a fake christmas tree and I can't wait to decorate it, but first Sinterklaas has to be over. If you don't know what Sinterklaas is (or Saint Nicolas, in English), it's a Dutch holiday, it's pretty much the same as Santa Claus. In fact, Santa Claus is a rip-off of Sinterklaas! I bet you didn't know that. But in fact, it is.
On the evening of Sinterklaas (december 5th) you hang out with your family and have a good time and then you open the presents. Traditionally, children believe that 'Zwarte Piet'  (Black Peter) brings a sack of presents, and then knocks loudly on the front door, and leaves before you can see him.
I absolutely love Sinterklaas, having a good time with your family and OF COURSE the presents (:

Only 10 days left to Sinterklaas, and after that 20 days to Christmas. Let the countdown begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment